When I first started eating low carb, one of the things I missed most was pizza. The cheesy, doughy bite that I grew up with– I would never get to eat again. Until I discovered this recipe and added some of my own touches.
How does it work, though? How can you eat low carb dough? The key is harnessing the viscosity of melted cheese to act gluten-like.
If you’re not into dairy, then this recipe isn’t for you. Yes, yes, dairy is inflammatory and shouldn’t be eaten all the time– but why not just have this as an occasional treat that’s not as bad as real pizza would be?
Anyway, you basically melt mozzarella (I use organic low-moisture skim just because it acts more gluten-like) with organic cream cheese in a microwave. Yes, not the most Bulletproof of cooking methods but if you leave the vicinity of the microwave and come back, I think you’ll be okay.
Once that’s done, you wait a few seconds to have it cool a bit, then add the almond flour and egg and mix and spread onto a sheetpan!
The dough can come together really quickly. I add a dash of onion powder, garlic powder, and oregano for flavor. You’ll get a bit stuck to your hands as you spread it out. That’s okay. If there are any holes, just take that stuff between your fingers and glue the holes away.
Okay, now for the artistic/fun part. I layer a bit of organic no-sugar-added pizza sauce then add the salami (high quality, organic, humanely raised sopressata). Pepperoni and salami are the same thing except pepperoni is lower quality.
Then I add red onion and pepper. If you’re not a nightshade fan, or if you prefer going vegetarian, just leave out/add in whatever you like. The key is to layer it as such: sauce, meat (if you’re into that), veg, then cheese.
Cheese on top of a cheesy dough? YASSSSS.
I use a high-quality, organic, full fat mozzarella to top this masterpiece. So this what it looks like before:
Then you wait 10-14 minutes (depending on how crispy you want it– I go for 11 because everything’s better at 11– Spinal Tap? No?) then you get this:
Is it cheat day? Because I feel like I’m cheating. I mean, I sort of am in that dairy isn’t super Paleo but whatevs– it’s better than if I went to get the real thing and it tastes just as good! Here’s the recipe with some of my modifications:
Low Carb Pizza
Ingredients: 8 oz shredded organic low-moisture skim mozzarella ¾ cup bleached almond flour 2 tbs organic cream cheese 1 pasture-raised egg Dash of garlic powder, onion powder, and dried oregano Parchment paper and cookie sheet Toppings: ¼ cup of organic, no sugar added pizza sauce ½ cup of sliced high quality sopressata salami ¼ cup red onion ¼ cup bell pepper 1 cup of torn high-quality, full fat mozzarella Dash of high-quality extra virgin olive oil to finish after pizza has cooled
- Preheat your oven to 425o
- Put low-moisture skim mozzarella and cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl and heat in microwave for 1 minute
- Take out and let cool for 20 seconds, mixing with a fork. Then add almond flour and egg and seasonings.
- Spread dough onto parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Fill any holes with the dough that will inevitably amass between your fingers
- Bake for 9 minutes.
- Take out, then top with sauce, desired meat, veg, and full-fat mozzarella, in that order. Bake again for another 11-14 minutes, depending on how crispy you want it.
- Let pizza cool for a minute or two then drizzle EVOO on top. You want to make sure the pizza is cooled when doing this so the fat from the olive oil doesn’t get oxidized.