Before I begin, I just want to share that I am not a personal trainer/expert. I am simply sharing what has worked for me, in true biohacking spirit.
OK– so, in a previous post, I have talked about why I weight lift. But how do I do it?
Here’s what I do, 4 times a week. Takes about 40 minutes per session. The goal is to lift for 8-12 reps per set to the best of your ability. And be sure to rest at least as long as it took you to do a set. So, for example, if it takes you a minute to do 8-12 reps, you should rest for a minute before your next set. Got it?
Chest + Triceps, Day 1:
- Dumbbell Bench Press
- Incline (approx. 45 degrees) Bench Press
- Seated Machine Chest Press (aka Butterfly or Pec Deck)— I call this one the “beast machine” because Daniel can do the maximum allowable weight on this one and it’s scary to behold!
- Smith Machine Decline Press (I affectionately refer to this one as the “boob lifter”)
- Bench Dip (aka Tricep Dip) or Tricep Push-Down with V-Bar
Back + Biceps, Day 2:
- Machine-Assisted Pull-Up or Wide-Grip Lat Pull-Down
- Assisted Chin-Up or V-Bar Pull-Down
- Seated Row
- Machine Preacher Curl and/or Barbell Curl
Shoulders + Abs, Day 3:
- Dumbbell Shoulder Press (it took me a while to learn the leg push-up trick to get started so if you’re a beginner, get someone to spot you and/or help you learn it)
- Side Lateral Raise
- Front Two-Dumbbell Raise (one week we might have the dumbells line up horizontally and then another week, have the dumbbells line up vertically to activate slightly different muscle groups)
- Smith Machine Shrug (sometimes we skip this one if we’re short on time– oh well, whatever, I don’t care– *shrug*)
- Ab Coaster (you can add weights to it as you get better at it)
- Hold a Plank as long as possible
Legs, Day 4:
- Barbell Squat
- Glute Kickback Machine (we used to do Leg Extensions then Lying Leg Curls so those are good too as an alternative)
- Seated Calf Raise
- Dumbbell Lunges
- Leg Press (we often skip this one since we find ourselves pressed for time– sorry, I couldn’t resist…)
Afterward, I complete the session with a delicious smoothie!
Caution: Always keep good posture throughout all these exercises. If you’re not sure how to do these workouts, get a trainer/professional to help you learn proper form. I have had many friends start off with the best of intentions with lifting then immediately injure themselves and give up.